Youth Basketball Programs Update- January 6, 2020
Town of Cortlandt Youth Travel Basketball, Town of Cortlandt Youth Basketball League, and the Youth Basketball Clinic have all been officially been cancelled for the 2020/ 2021 season. For questions and concerns, please contact Recreation Supervisor, Tim Fisher, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 914-734-1056.
Youth Center Update- December 27, 2020
A staff member at the Youth Center tested positive for Covid on Saturday December 26th. This staff person was last at the Center on Tuesday December 22nd. All participants parents have been notified. out of an abudance of caution the Youth Center will be closed this week, December 28 thru January 1st.
Due to privacy rules we will not be able to provide the staff members name.
For any questions, please contact the Westchester County Health Department.
Youth Center Update November 23, 2020- November 25, 2020
Due to a significant number of COVID positive cases throughout the Hendrick Hudson School District, the Youth Center will be closed Monday, November 23rd and Tuesday, November 24th, and Wednesday, November 25th. Thank you and stay safe.
YOUTH CENTER UPDATE November 13, 2020
The Town of Cortlandt Youth Center will closed today, Friday, November 13, 2020 through Sunday, November 15, 2020 and will reopen on Monday, November 16, 2020 out of an abundance of caution due to the positive case of COVID-19 at a local school.
Youth Center Update, October 7, 2020
The employee at the Youth Center that was tested for COVID-19 after coming in contact with someone who tested positive outside of the Youth Center has tested negative. The Youth Center out of an abundance of caution was closed and deep cleaned on Monday and will be deep cleaned again on Friday and will reopen on Saturday.
Thank you and stay safe.
Youth Center Update, October 4, 2020
To All Youth Center Parents and Participants:
We have been notified that an employee at the Youth Center is currently being tested for COVID-19 after coming in contact with someone who tested positive outside of the youth center. Out of an abundance of caution we will close the youth center for the week of October 5 - October 9. This is to give us time to receive results and also to conduct another deep cleaning of the facility. The employee who is being tested was at the Youth Center on Friday, October 2nd. Due to privacy rules we will not be able to provide you with the staff member's name. For any questions, please contact Westchester County Health Department. Thank you and stay safe.
Town of Cortlandt
Department of Recreation
"YC Indoor Fun" Begins August 3rd the Youth Center!
Week long sessions are available for youth entering grades 6th - 12th, who are registered participants of the YC. Parents can choose from a 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM or 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM time slot. Pre-registration is required as space is limited. For more information on the precautions we are taking and the types of activities the youth can participate in while at the YC click here.
To register your child for the Youth Center and/or for any of our upcoming summer programs (American Sign Language on Zoom, Outdoor Fun in the Sun, YC Indoor Fun) click here.
Mini Golf at Charles J. Cook Park Opens, Thursday, 7/9
The Charles J. Cook Park Mini Golf will be opening tomorrow, July 9th! The mini golf course will be following all of the current COVID-19 guidelines, creating a safe space to enjoy the outdoors and have a great game of everyone’s favorite summer sport – mini golf! Please see the updated hours below.
Tuesday – Friday: 2:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Saturdays & Sundays: 12:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Closed on Mondays
PRESS RELEASE- Playgrounds and Dog Park
June 22, 2020
As the Town of Cortlandt enters into the State’s phase three on Tuesday June 23rd, the town will re-open all of our playgrounds, Dog Park off of Sprout Brook Road and miniature golf at the Charles J. Cook Pool campus. All town trail systems, parks, and parkland (by the Hudson River) continue to remain open. Please still social distance and wear a mask. I thank you all for understanding and for your cooperation in helping us stay safe.
Supervisor Linda D. Puglisi
Town of Cortlandt And Town Board
SPECIAL NOTICE- RECREATION PROGRAMS, CAMPS, POOL AND FACILITIES
May 21, 2020
The Town Board and I along with our Recreation Superintendent need to give you an update on the upcoming camp season, town pool and recreation facilities:
After significant discussion and review of the ever-changing CDC, New York State, and Westchester County restrictions, guidelines and recommendations, we have reached the very difficult decision to cancel our 2020 Town of Cortlandt Travel (5th/6th Grade Camp and 7th/8th Grade Camp) and Day Camp Programs. Although it is hard to imagine a summer without camps, nothing is more important to us than the health, safety, and welfare of our children, our residents, staff and the partners with whom we work. Current and reasonably anticipated social distancing requirements for the summer would be impossible to enforce in the camp setting and would also prevent almost every traditional camp activity.
We understand that, for some families, summer camp also serves an important role of childcare. The decision is made now in the hope that parents will have time to try to secure other arrangements for summer childcare, and camp workers will have more time to obtain alternate employment.
We do not make this decision lightly but feel that it would be shortsighted and irresponsible to risk further increase of the public health hazard that we are already facing. We are grateful for your support and understanding as we navigate the challenges caused by the Coronavirus Pandemic.
Please check the Town of Cortlandt Recreation & Conservation Department homepage at www.townofcortlandt.com/rec regularly for the status of specialty camps that we may have the opportunity to offer later in the summer.
The construction of the new bathhouse began before we were faced with the pandemic and the subsequent PAUSE announced by Governor Cuomo. The PAUSE stopped all construction at the site and they have been unable to restart. Due to the uncertainty of the bathhouse pool construction we have had to make the very hard decision not to open the pool this summer. It is not clear at this time when construction will resume. We know how much our residents and families look forward to going to the pool and it is one of the most difficult decisions that we have had to make. In addition, to the ongoing construction we are also faced with the restrictions of limiting social gatherings and enforcing the 6 foot social distancing requirements mandated by Governor Cuomo.
As a reminder, all town playgrounds and basketball courts will remain closed until further notice. In order to stop the spread of the virus we closed areas where many individuals congregate. While our parks and trails remain open, we will require all residents to wear masks while using our hiking trails, nature preserves, and parks while also practicing social distancing, by staying 6 feet away from fellow patrons in the parks.
Youth Center & Muriel H. Morabito Community Center:
The Youth Center will continue to be closed until the end of July. The Muriel H. Morabito Community Center will be closed for the entire summer. This will ensure compliance with the guidelines set by Governor Cuomo, the CDC and the Westchester County Health Department, Please check our website for updates.
Once again, we want you to know that these decisions are very difficult for all of us to make but our first priority is the safety and welfare of our children, staff and vulnerable members of our community.
Together we will heal and together we will be stronger. Please stay safe and stay tuned for more online recreation activities at our Facebook www.facebook.com/townofcortlandt and our Instagram @townofcortlandt!
Linda D Puglisi
Richard H. Becker
Debra A. Costello
James F. Creighton
Francis X. Farrell
Past Recreation COVID-19 Updates
- Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic and the ongoing need for social distancing the two concerts scheduled for June 2020 have been cancelled. Please check the website for updates. Thank you and be safe.
- The 5th Grade Welcome Aboard Luau at the Cortlandt Youth & Recreation Center scheduled for Friday, May 1st has been cancelled. Although the luau is cancelled, once the Youth Center re-opens it will recognize all current 5th Graders as "graduated" and therefore they can attend the daily Drop-Off program for youth in Grades 6th - 12th. For information on how to register your child for the Youth Center, click here.
- As of March 13th, 2020, all Town of Cortlandt Recreation programs are suspended indefinitely, including leagues/ practices, open gyms, the Game Cafe at the CUE, Youth Center activities, and Community Center activities. Please contact the Town of Cortlandt Recreation Department at 914-734-1050 or TOCREC@TOWNOFCORTLANDT.COM or visit WWW.TOWNOFCORTLANTD.COM/COVID19 for updates.
- If you are currently registered and enrolled in a Winter 2020 Town of Cortlandt Recreation program, you will receive a pro-rated refund unless notified otherwise.
- Registration for spring programs will be accepted online only at WWW.TOWNOFCORTLANDT.COM/RECONLINE.
- As of March 26th, 2020, All town playgrounds and basketball courts are now closed until further notice. In order to stop the spread of the coronavirus we are closing areas where many individuals congregate. While our parks and trails remain open we are asking all residents to observe the 6 feet social distancing recommendation at all times. Please stay safe and thank you as always for your cooperation. Let's keep our neighbors and community safe.
- Due to the global pandemic known as COVID-19 and the incredible amount of uncertainty associated with this virus, the construction of the Charles J. Cook Pool Bath House has been slowed. After a temporary pause to evaluate on how best to proceed, the Town and its Contractors have decided to continue construction at a reduced level. It is the goal of the Town to resume work in its entirety once the State rescinds the P.A.U.S.E. Executive Order. The situation is extremely fluid and recommendations by the Federal and State offices are ever evolving. The health and safety of the Town’s and Contractor’s staff is of the utmost importance. We will continue our best to hit the target deadline. The Town is appreciative of your understanding in this matter. Updates will be posted on the Town's website WWW.TOWNOFCORTLANDT.COM (search bathhouse). Please stay safe and healthy during this time.