How do I obtain a Birth Certificate?
All birth certificates are filed with the Commissioner of Health of New York State. Your birth certificate is also on file in the clerk’s office of the municipality where you were born.
A certified copy or certified transcript of a birth certificate may be issued only:
1. To the person named on the birth certificate, if 18 years of age or older.
2. To the parents of the person named on the birth certificate.
3. To a lawful representative of the person named or the parents of the person named on the
4. To the Commissioner of Health.
5. To a person with a New York State Court Order.
6. To a municipal, state or federal agency for official purposes.
There is charge of $10.00 per certified birth.
You may obtain a certified birth certificate by mail with a written request that contains the name, date of birth, place of birth, father’s first and last name and mother’s first and last name; and
You must provide your current return address along with the requester's relationship to the person on the birth.
The signature requesting the birth must be notarized.
Only money orders will be accepted by mail. $10.00 per Certified copy.