Skip Navigation

Town of Cortlandt, NY

Email a link to this web page.
Simply fill out this form and click Send.
*Fields in Red are required.
*You must enter a valid email
*You must enter a valid email.
Town of Cortlandt SealGo to our home page

Frequently Asked Questions

Page Navigation Show page menu
  • Frequently Asked Questions
Go To Section Show section list
Code Enforcement (Building) Division
  • Code Enforcement General
    • What Zoning District is my property located in?

      Contact Code Enforcement at (914)734-1010, to find out what a property is zoned.

    • What does not require a permit?

      Note: Work that does not require a Permit is still required to comply with the Town Code and NYS Codes as applicable. Please call the Code Enforcement Division to verify requirements.


      Building Permits and subsequent Certificates of Occupancy are not required for:


      Storage sheds and other accessory structures less than 100 square feet in floor area and not permanently affixed to the ground;

      (Accessory structures are required to comply with required setbacks and maximum allowable area see Town Zoning Code Chapter 307 and Table of Dimensional Regulations.)


      Re-siding a building in which no sheathing is not removed or replaced;


      Replacing Roof Shingles in which sheathing is not removed or replaced;


      Solid fuel burning devices installed prior to January 1, 1984          


      Patios on grade

    • How do I apply for a Variance from the Zoning Ordinance?

      The Zoning Board of Appeals grants relief, a variance, from the Zoning Ordinance.  Applications to the Zoning Board of Appeals are obtained from and filed with the Code Enforcement Division.  

      You are encouraged to contact Ken Hoch at 734-1010 for any questions regarding an application before the Zoning Board of Appeals. Ken Hoch can also be reached via email at

    • How do I obtain a plan of my septic system?

      The Town of Cortlandt does not have any information on file for septic systems.  The Westchester County Health Department, (link to (914) 813-5000, has records of septic systems.  When you call the Health Department they may ask for the year the house was constructed and Tax Map Number (Section, block, and lot).  You can obtain this information from the Town of Cortlandt Tax Assessor, (914) 734-1040, although for homes constructed prior to our records the construction date may not be available.

    • How do I obtain my Section, Block and Lot numbers?

      To obtain a Section, Block and Lot Number, call the Code Enforcement Office, (914) 734-1010.  You will need the property address or owner's name.

    • Where can I get a copy of the Town Code, Zoning Code, or Ordinances?

      The Town Code, Zoning Ordinance, and other Ordinances can be purchased at the Town Clerk’s Office. (914-734-1020)

      The Town Code can also be viewed on our website by clicking on "Town Code" on the left hand navigation bar.

    • Who do I call regarding trees in the street right-of-way?

      The Highway Division, (914) 734-0047, will determine if a tree is in the street right-of-way and they also maintain these trees.  

    • Where can I get FEMA, floodplain information?

      The Engineering Division provides local administration of the National Flood Insurance Program.   (FEMA/Engineering link to Engineering page section)

    • Where can I get a copy of the Zoning Map?

      Copies of Zoning Maps are available for $25.00 at the Town Clerk’s Office at Town Hall.

    • Where can I get Topographic Maps for the Town of Cortlandt?

      Topographic Maps are located in the DOTS: Engineering Division. You can contact them at 734-1060 or you can click on the website on the left hand navigation bar under "Departments" - "Engineering Division".

    • Where do I get information on Permitted Uses and area requirements for my property?

      Code Enforcement administers the Zoning Ordinance that designates permitted land uses and area requirements for construction.

    • What do I do to license my dog?

      The Town Clerk issues licenses for dogs.  You must bring proof of immunization and pay the required fees.  Dogs must be licensed every year.

    • Are pets prohibited in areas of the Town?

      Dogs are not allowed upon school grounds of any school within the Town of Cortlandt during the time of year when schools are open and between one hour prior to commencement of the school day and one hour after the end of the school day or upon a playground within said Town of Cortlandt at any hour during the time of year when playground activities are conducted.  

Department of Technical Services
  • Engineering General
    • How can I get my road paved?

      If you live on a Town road you can request your road be repaved by writing to the Supervisor and Town Board.

      Each spring we evaluate the roads of the Town of Cortlandt for resurfacing.  This includes their current condition, rate of failure, traffic load and truck traffic.  The list of roads meeting the budget are provided to the Town Board and approved.  A contract is let to bid and awarded at a subsequent meeting and resurfacing takes place during the summer.  The resurfacing program is a budget constrained program and the roads not selected for resurfacing in a given year are re-evaluated the following year.  

  • Planning General
Engineering Division
Highway Division
Planning Division
  • Planning General
    • Is my property subdividable?

      The Planning Division cannot answer whether a property is subdividable or not.  That decision is made by the Planning Board.  Planning Division staff can provide background information on the property such as if it has ever been before the Planning Board in the past, if it is generally steep or wet, etc.  A property owner should hire their own professional to investigate a property for potential subdivision.  Planning Division staff cannot recommend engineers or architects but a property owner may review past Planning Board agendas for examples of firms that do work in the Town of Cortlandt.

    • How long does the process of Subdivision or Site Plan Approval Take?

       It varies on a case by case basis, however expect at least 6 – 12 months at a minimum.

    • I want to sell a small piece of property to my neighbor. Does this action need Planning Board Approval

      Yes.  However, refer to Section 265-13(D) of the Town of Cortlandt Subdivision Regulations for a definition of a “lot line adjustment”.  If your project meets the requirements of a lot line adjustment the process can usually be completed in two months.  If the amount of property to be transferred is greater that that allowed by a lot line adjustment, the transfer is considered a subdivision.

    • I want to subdivide my property but I think it may contain wetlands. What do I do?

      To determine if wetlands exist on your property, you should submit a copy of your property survey and a request for wetland flagging to the Planning Division.  The Planning Division will send a request to a Town approved Wetland Consultant who will submit an estimate of the cost to delineate the wetland.  You pay the Town the cost, plus a 10% administration fee and the wetland will be delineated.  See Chapter 179 of the Town Code “Freshwater Wetlands” for more information.

      Contact the planning division with any questions (914) 734-1080.

    • I want to put up a sign at my business. Does that require Planning Board Approval?

      The Town has recently changed the sign ordinance to permit a staff level review and approval for certain signs.  These sign applications are still referred to and reviewed by the Architectural Advisory Council. Please check with Planning Division for specific information.   After the staff approves a sign, the applicant still needs to go the Code Enforcement Division to obtain a Sign Permit.

      With respect to new construction and site plan approvals, signs are approved by the Planning Board.  The Planning Board referrs sign applications to the Architectural Advisory Council for a recommendation.  The Planning Board approves the aesthetics and location of a sign.  If a proposed sign is larger than is allowed on the building the applicant most apply to the Zoning Board of Appeals for a variance.  After the Planning Board approves a sign, the applicant still needs to go the Code Enforcement Division to obtain a Sign Permit.

    • How do I get information regarding a recent or past Planning Board case?

      The Planning Division maintains the Planning Board files and subdivision maps.  To find out if the Town has any information associated with a property you must have the Section, Block, and Lot Numbers (Tax Map Number) for the property.  If a file exists, you may view the file in the Planning Division or request the information via a FOIL (Freedom of Information) Request.  FOIL Requests are filed in the Town Clerks Office. 

      Please be advised that the Planning Division maintains and stores older files in a cold storage room location.  It may take some time to research the stored files.

    • Where do I get information on Permitted Uses and area requirements for my property?

      The Code Enforcement division administers the Zoning Ordinance that designates permitted land uses and area requirements for construction.  (914) 734-1010.

    • What Zoning District is my property located in?

      The Code Enforcement division provides information regarding Zoning District. (914) 734-1010 or you may view your property on our WebGIS system.  


    • How do I apply for a Variance from the Zoning Ordinance?

      The Zoning Board of Appeals grants relief, a variance, from the Zoning Ordinance.  Applications to the Zoning Board of Appeals are obtained from and filed with the Code Enforcement Division.  (914) 734-1010.

    • How do I obtain my Section Lot, Block numbers?

      To obtain a Section, Lot, and Block Number, call the Tax Assessor’s Office, (914) 734-1040.  You will need the property address.  

    • Where can I get FEMA, floodplain information?

      The Engineering Division provides local administration of the National Flood Insurance Program 

Recreation & Conservation
  • Recreation - Camp
    • When does registration for the Summer Camp Programs begin?

      The Summer Brochure is available online around the second week of April.  Registration for the Day Camp Programs are on a first-come first-serve basis.  There is a limited enrollment for all three camps.  The application is in back of the summer brochure and can also be completed online through Community Pass Registration Software ( and must be COMPLETED ENTIRELY for the Recreation Department to accept it. 

      On the application is the medical portion, the dates of all of your child's inoculations MUST BE WRITTEN IN AS WELL AS the paperwork from your childs physician.

      The Day Camp program is for boys and girls in grades K through 4 and runs from 9:00 AM- 3:45 PM; busing is provided from various stops throughout the Town. 

      Please call 914-734-1055 for more information.

      The 5th and 6th Grade Camp and the 7th and 8th Grade Camp go on many trips throughout the area and also include busing in the fee.  Please contact the Recreation Office for more information at 914-734-1058 and watch for the summer brochure for more information on registering, rates, and dates.

    • How many Campers are in the Town Camps?

      In the Day Camp Grades K-4 we have a total of 240 campers each 2 week session.  The 5th and 6th grade has a total number of 125 campers and 7th and 8th is limited to 100 campers also every two week session.

    • What is the ratio of campers to counselors?

      Passive activities are 1:12.  Swimming activities are 1:10; for children under eight years of age it is 1:8; for children under six years of age it is 1:6 as per New York State Sanitary Code.

    • How do you determine if a camper is a swimmer or a non-swimmer?

      The first day of each session a Water Safety Instructor gives all the campers a swimming test. (Swim Test: Camper jumps into the deep end of the pool; swims the width of the pool; stops floats on their back for 30 seconds; stops treads water for 1 minute; emerge from pool)  Depending on the results they will be given a color bracelet that refers to their swimming ability.  If a camper is designated a non swimmer, the camper can only swim in water no deeper than chest level.  There are designated lifeguards for the camp swimmers, along with stationed camp counselors, throughout the swimming area.

      There is a Buddy System that is implemented for all swimmers.  Each camper is assigned a Buddy of the same swimming ability.  Every fifteen minutes a horn blows, and all the campers (with their buddy) get out of the water and go to a predetermined location.  At that time attendance is checked to insure all campers are present.  After all are accounted for the horn blows and campers return to the water.  This procedure occurs every fifteen minutes during swim time.



    • Are swimming lessons offered in the summer camps?

      Swimming lessons are offered only in the Day Camp.  The swimming groups are broken down by grade and then swimming ability.  Lessons are scheduled everyday for a forty-minute period.

    • Do the summer camps close on rainy days?

      No, the camps are a rain or shine program.

    • Does the 5th & 6th and 7th & 8th Grade Camps go on a trip everyday?

      Our camps are not strictly "travel camps".  Generally we go on approximately 4 to 5 trips per session.  The camp consists of three, two-week sessions.

    • How are the children supervised on your camp trips?

      Each child is in a group of 8-10 campers and assigned to 1 or 2 counselors depending on that particular trip.  No campers are allowed to go on their own.  They are always with a buddy and in sight of a counselor.

    • What qualifications does a Camp Director need to have?

      A bachelor's degree, or at least 21 years of age and at least 6 months of previous experience is required.  A notification from the Department of Social Services State Central Register of Abuse and Maltreatment that the director has not been subject of an investigation report; and the submission of a form entitled Prospective Children's Camp Director Certified Statement Relative to the Conviction of a Crime or the Existence of a Pending Criminal Action, as developed by the Commissioner that the camp director has no criminal conviction record.

    • What is the minimum age for a camp counselor?

      A C.I.T. (Counselor- In- Training) needs to be fourteen years of age by the start of summer camp.

    • Who interviews potential Camp Counselors?

      The Recreation Supervisor of the respective camps.

    • What is the rate of pay for camp counselors?

      A C.I.T. (Counselor-In-Training) earns $1.00 per hour.  Junior counselor earns $3.00 per hour.  Intermediate Counselor first year earns $5.50 per hour for the camp $5.00 for playgrounds and second year is $6.00 and $5.50 per hour.  Senior Counselor wages start at $7.50 per hour and increases .25 cents each additional year.

    • What first aid qualifications are required for a summer camp?

      A Camp Health Director shall possess: 

      (1)   A current certificate in Responding to Emergencies First Aid issued by the American
             Red Cross.
      (2)   A current cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certificate, not exceeding one year in duration, in CPR for the Professional Rescuer.

      For every 200 campers there must be one certified CPR person.  For every 125 campers there must be one certified RTE person.  At the First Aid station located at the pool there is an EMT where all campers in our Day Camp will be taken if first aid is applied or needed, a call will be made to tell the parent/guardian.

    • Do you have an EMT or nurse on the premises?

      The 5th and 6th Grade Camp, 7th and 8th Grade Camp, and Day Play Camp DO NOT have an EMT or a Nurse at their perspective locations.  The Camp Director in each camp is certified in CPR and Responding to Emergencies which is an intense first aid course through the Red Cross.  While the Camps are at Charles Cook Park there is a nurse/EMT on staff at the pool.

  • Recreation - Community Pass Online Registration
  • Recreation - Skate Park
  • Recreation - Sports
    • What Sport Leagues do we have in the Town?

      The Town has many leagues for Youth as well as Adults.

      Youth Leagues

      Basketball League for Boys Grade 3rd - 10th and Girls Grades 3rd - 7th - Fall & Winter 
      Football League Ages 9-11- Fall
      Lacrosse League 3rd & 4th Grade - Boys - Spring
      Lacrosse League 3rd & 4th Grade - Girls - Spring
      Lacrosse League 5th & 6th Grade - Boys - Spring
      Lacrosse League 5th & 6th Grade - Girls - Spring
      Soccer League for Boys Grades 1th - 6th
      Soccer League for Girls Grades - 1st - 7th
      Travel Soccer ages 10 - 15

      Adult Leagues 

      Softball League for Men - Spring, Summer, and Fall
      Softball League for Women - Spring & Summer

    • Can out-of-town residents play on the Towns' youth sports teams?

      If there are roster openings, they can play with an additional out-of-town fee of 20% on the higher fee.

    • Do you have playing time requirements for your Travel Teams?

      Other than Travel Soccer (non D1 teams), we DO NOT have playing time requirements for our Travel Teams.  Our  Travel Teams provide the higher skill level children to participate against other teams in other towns and lets them play in a more competitive atmosphere.  You may decide that this may not be best for your child and let them participate in our in-house leagues.  Our Travel Coaches do the best they can to get all players into the 

      *Travel Soccer has a playing time requirement for Division 2 - is is a minium of 1/2 a game or over.

    • How far away do your Travel Teams travel?

      For the most part, the travel teams play local towns.  For instance the team will play Yorktown, White Plains, Lewisboro, etc.

    • Where do you get your coaches?

      Most are parents, but we also have several high school students as well as some adults with "NO" kids in the program.

    • Who chooses the Travel Coaches?

      The coaches are chosen by the Recreation Supervisor who oversees the respective League.

  • Recreation - Sports - Basketball League
  • Recreation - Sports - Lacrosse League
  • Recreation - Sports - Soccer League
  • Recreation - Sports - Softball League
  • Recreation - Sports - Travel Football
  • Recreation - Youth Center
    • What is the Youth Center and who is eligible to attend?

      The Town of Cortlandt Youth Center is a licensed New York State Drug Prevention Facility supervised by town employees who work within the recreation department.  Town of Cortlandt youth in grades six through twelve, who are between the ages of eleven and eighteen are eligible to attend.

    • Where is the Youth Center located?

      The Cortlandt Youth and Recreation Center is located at the Cortlandt Train Station on 3 Memiorial Drive, Croton.  (914) 736-0498.

      Directions to the Cortlandt Youth Center

    • What are the hours of operation?

      The Youth Center is opened Monday through Thursday,
             3:00 PM-   8:30 PM
             3:00 PM-   11: 00 PM 
             1:00 PM- 11:00 PM
             1:00 PM-  5:00 PM for Ages 7 to 10 (Parents must stay)

    • What activities are available to my child at the Youth Center?

      Come meet us at our new location at the Cortlandt Train Station, 3 Memorial Drive, Crugers.  Where you can enjoy our new rock climbing wall, cooking/baking classes, learning lab, arts & crafts room, video game room and enjoy watching your favorite show/sporting event on our flat screen television.

      Cortlandt Recreation is committed to providing a variety of programs that are social, educational and fun form TEENS only.

      All youth aged 11-18 (11 years only is you graduated from the fifth grade) are invited to stop by and check it out. 

      The Youth Center also has three satellite programs.  First, open gym at the Hendrick Hudson High School.  All participants must be HHHS district students only.  Program runs every Monday evening from 7:30 PM- 9:30 PM  Secondly, there is a canteen program at the Murial H.Morabito Community Center, 29 Westbrook Drive on Tuesdays from 7:00 PM- 9:00 PM for middle school students, Wednesdays from 7:00 PM- 9:00 PM and Friday from 8:00 PM- 10:30 PM for high school students who reside in or attend Town of Cortlandt schools.  Activities include: open gym basketball,  All participants must sign a code of conduct agreement before utilizing this facility. 

      Lastly, the Cortlandt Upper Teen Entertainment Center otherwise known as the C.U.E. is located at the Cortlandt Town Center in the rear of the building near the movie theater.  The program is available to all high school students who attend Croton, Hendrick Hudson, and Lakeland schools, or anyone who is a town resident.  The C.U.E. is open on Friday and Saturday evenings from 7:30 PM- 11:30 PM  Activities include three pool tables, ping-pong, nok hockey, fooseball and many other games.  Refreshments are available for all to enjoy while you watch our 37" satellite television.

    • What is the cost to attend the Youth Center?

      There is no cost to join the Youth Center or any of our satellite programs, some programs may have a nominal fee.

    • Does my child need an identification card?

      Your child will be asked to fill out an identification card with his/her name, address, home phone number and date of birth and will be kept on file at the center.  Your child's information will be kept confidential and will never be given to anyone, under any circumstances.


    • Can my child walk to the center?

      Yes, your child may walk to and from the Cortlandt Youth Center; however, once your child leaves the center on foot he/she may not return for the night.  A child who walks to the center may be picked up and dropped off by a parent/guardian within the same night.

    • Do children have telephone access?

      Yes, your child will have telephone access free of charge, the Youth Center's telephone number is (914) 736-0498.

    • What is your procedure in the event of an emergency, injury or if my child is asked to leave for the night due to untoward behavior?

      The staff on duty will call the participants parents immediately if any of the above incidents occur.  To make sure someone can reach you in a timely manner it is important for all parents and/or guardians to make yourselves available to the staff while your child is at the center.  Program staff must be able to reach you in the event of an emergency or if your child is asked to leave the program for the night.

  • Recreation General
    • When are the Recreation Brochures mailed out?

      The Recreation Brochures are mailed out 3 times per year to all residents in the Town of Cortlandt,   The brochures will also be available on line at and can be printed out in PDF format.  You can also brose all Adult, Youth, and Pre-School courses through our Community Pass Online Registration at

      The Winter/Spring Brochure will be online the first week of January and lists all programs and leagues that are held in the Winter and the Spring.

      The Summer Brochure has information concerning all of the Day Camp programs as well as the camps that are held for one week.  Also, the swimming facility information and the list of dates that ID cards and season passes are sold.  This brochure will be on line around the second week in April and lists all camps, progams and leagues that are held in the Summer as well as leagues that need to be registered for during the Summer that start in the Fall.

      The Fall Brochure will be online the week after Labor Day and programs usually start the 3rd week of September and lists all programs and leagues held in the fall.  Basketball League applications appear in this brochure for the league that starts in January.

      We also have extra copies of our brochure in our office.


    • Does the Town provide accident insurance?

      The Town does not provide Accident Insurance

    • Are there any facilities that the Residents can rent in the Town?

      The Town now has a Community Room located at the Cortlandt Town Center which has limited availability for weekdays only. It may be rented only to Cortlandt Residents. . There is no smoking or alcohol allowed.  There is also no kitchen, but food is allowed as long as all garbage is removed.  The rates are $25 for a non-profit organization, $150 for residents or private use and $250 for profit making organizations.  A $300 cash deposit is required by all.  Please contact the Recreation Office for more information at 914-734-1052.

      The Cortlandt Youth and Recreation Center is also available to be rented on Saturdays from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. for more information call 914-736-0498.

      The Muriel H. Morabito Community Center may also be rented by residents but not for personal use parties.  Non-profit organizations may rent the facility.  Please call the Muriel H. Morabito  Community Center for more information at 914-528-1464.


Sanitation Division
  • Refuse Collection
    • How do I dispose of paint?

      Apply kitty litter or other absorbent material to dry the paint. Dispose of dried paint in can with lid off into regular refuse.  Pour paint onto/or spread out newspaper, let air dry, dispose of newspaper and can with lid off.

    • How do I dispose of a freezer, dehumidifier, refrigerator, air-conditioner, or other appliance with Freon?

      Mail check for $10.00 payable to Town of Cortlandt.  You can mail your check to Sanitation Division, 167 Roa Hook Road, Cortlandt Manor, NY 10567. We will mail you a sticker to place on the unit.  Please remove door for curbside pick up.

    • How do I dispose of a TV, VCR, computer monitor and other CRT (cathode ray tube) appliances?

      These items should not be disposed of with the regular trash. Sanitation accepts ALL electronics Monday – Friday 8:00am – 3:00pm at Buchanan DES located at 218 Westchester Avenue. Best Buy will also accept most electronics free of charge. The Sanitation Division charges $15.00 for a TV pick up and $5.00 for each electronic item (up to 2 items per household). 

    • Why was my large (greater than 45 gallons or 70 lbs.) not picked up?

      Town Code requires that the residential service is not to exceed 45 gallon containers. The large cans pose an injury hazard to men lifting larger containers.  The larger containers are designed for an automated service, which the Town does not provide.

    • How does the collection schedule change on a Holiday week?

      The collection service would be cancelled on the Holiday and other services moved AHEAD one day. Bulk pick ups are cancelled on Holiday weeks.  Example:  Monday Holiday, Monday pick up is on Tuesday, paper pick up is moved to Thursday, and co-mingles recyclables moved to Friday. 

    • Where does the household refuse/garbage go?

      There is no landfill. The refuse is transported for incineration (garbage to energy), plant, RESCO, on Charles Point Blvd. in Peekskill.

    • Where do the recyclable products go?

      They are transported to a Westchester County operated Transfer Station on Roa Hook Road. The city then transports these to processing markets.  (Effective 2002)

    • Why does the Town not pick up grass clippings?

      Grass and all other organic yard wastes have been identified by NYS DEC as recyclable and can not go to incineration.  Leave on lawn, or backyard composting is recommended.

    • How do I dispose of branches from trees?

      Use for firewood. 
      Call DES Sanitation Division 914-737-0100 to schedule a chipper truck service. 
      Have tree taken down, contractor chip and take away.

    • How do I dispose of home re-modeling building materials and demolition debris?

      Have a contractor remove and dispose. 

      Check phone book for local hauling/carting company.


    • How dangerous is the job of Sanitation Laborer?

      Very, national statistics show this occupation to be hazardous.

    • Why is it BAD to place chemicals, liquids, etc. into trash?

      Combustible material mix and are hazardous to workers on truck. 
      Fire hazard. 
      Hazardous fumes being inhaled by workers. 
      Liquids sprayed onto workers by truck crushing load. 
      Environmental hazards.

    • What safety equipment is supplied on each truck?

      Each truck is equipped and inspected to NY State DMV requirements, in addition each truck is equipped with a back-up video camera and cab monitor.

    • What is a household chemical clean up day?

      Westchester County Household Material Recovery Facility (H-MRF) is open year-round for drop-off of these items.  Call 914-813-5425 for more information. 

    • I am moving and have unused household chemicals to dispose, what do I do?

      These items can be disposed of at the Westchester County Household Material Recovery Facility (H-MRF) in Valhalla. Call 914-813-5425 for more information.

    • I have tires with and without metal rims, what do I do?

      Mail check payable to Town of Cortlandt.  You can mail your check to Sanitation Division, 167 Roa Hook Road, Cortlandt Manor, 10567.  We will mail you a sticker to place on the tires.  Tires with metal rims are $10.00 each, tires with no rims are $5.00 each.

    • I am moving and missed my Friday bulk pick-up, what do I do?

      A special bulk pick-up can be arranged for a $30.00 Special Fee and follow the same guidelines as our regular bulk pick up.  Special bulk payments can be made at Sanitation Division 167 Roa Hook Road.  Please call with any questions at 914-737-0100.

    • What do I do with leaves?

      Place curbside in paper/biodegradable bags, which will be picked up according to schedule. If you need a pickup other than the scheduled pickup call Sanitation at 914-737-0100 to schedule a pickup.

    • Does the Town provide litter patrol?

      Yes, there are work crews that are periodically assigned on Town roads.

    • What is Sharp Smarts?

      Many people use sharps (needles, syringes and lancets) as part of their home medical care. 
      Proper disposal of sharps is important to the safety of the sharps user and to workers who handle trash.

      Use a container that is: leakproof, shatterproof, and puncture proof with a screw top. (Good choices are durable plastic bottles, bleach and detergent bottles.)

      Bad choices are: glass and aluminum containers, metal cans with flimsy lids and cardboard container.

      Place lancets or needle and syringe in the container IMMEDIATELY after using. 
          · DO NOT recap, bend needles or break lancets. 
          · SECURE the top on the container. 
          · Label the container "SHARPS". 
          · DO NOT label it "Medical Waste," or "BIOHAZARD," etc. 
          · When the home container is full, make sure the top is screwed on securely, then apply tape around
            the top and the neck of the container.  NEVER PUT SHARP CONTAINERS IN WITH RECYCLABLES.

    • How are dead animals removed and disposed?

      Contact DES at 914-737-0047 to remove dead animals from Town roadways. We do not pick up animals on private property, that is the property owner's responsibility.  


    • Are plastic bags acceptable for collection of Thursday recyclables?

      No, placing recyclables in plastic bags is a common and costly mistake. Plastic bags mixed in with other recyclables contaminate the entire load being brought to the Material Recovery Facility.  (MRF)  They have to be removed at taxpayer's expense (that's you) before the other recyclable materials can be processed.  If you save your glass, metal and plastic containers in plastic bags, just dump the recyclables out of the bag and into the bin/ container on collection day and either throw the plastic bags away or reuse them. 

    • What is an "OOPS" sticker? And why did I get one?

      An "oops" sticker is a reminder program that points out to the resident that there is some reason for non pick up.  Examples: recyclables mixed with garbage.

    • Does the Town provide recycling bins?

      Yes they are $8.00 each. Bins can be purchased at Sanitation Division located at 167 Roa Hook Road or Town Hall located at 1 Heady Street, Cortlandt Manor, NY 10567. 

    • I am a new resident, what should I do to start residential solid waste curbside collection?

      Call our office 914-737-0100 to request a printed guide to Recycling and Solid Waste Disposal Services.

Tax Receiver
  • How Property Tax Works
    • What Is the Property Tax?

      The real property tax is a tax based on the value of real property. Counties, cities, towns, villages, and school districts, each raise money through the real property tax. The money funds schools, pays for police and fire protection, maintains roads, and funds other municipal services enjoyed by residents.

    • What Determines the Amount of a Property Tax Bill?

      The amount of a particular property’s tax bill is determined by two things: the property’s taxable assessment and the tax rates of the taxing jurisdictions in which the property is located. The tax rate is determined by the amount of the tax levy to be raised from all, or part, of an assessing unit, and the unit’s taxable assessed value. The assessment is determined by the assessor and is based on the value of the property less any applicable property tax exemptions.

    • What Kind of Property Is Assessed?

      Every parcel of real property in an assessing unit, no matter how big or how small, is assessed. Real property is defined as land and any permanent structures attached to it. Examples of real property are houses, gas stations, office buildings, vacant land, shopping centers, saleable natural resources (e.g. oil, gas, timber), farms, apartments, factories, restaurants, and, in most instances, mobile homes.


      Though all real property in an assessing unit is assessed, not all of it is taxable. Some, such as religious or government owned property are completely exempt from paying property taxes. Others are partially exempt, such as veterans who qualify for an exemption on part of the property tax on their homes.

    • What Is an Assessment?

      A Property’s assessment is a percentage of its market value. Market value is how much a property would sell for under normal conditions. Assessments are determined by the assessor, an appointed local official who independently estimates the value or real property in an assessing unit. Assessing units follow municipal boundaries – county, city, town, or village.


      The assessor can estimate the market value of property based on the sale prices of similar properties. A property can also be valued based on the depreciated cost of materials and labor required to replace it. Commercial property may be valued on its potential to produce rental income for its owners. In other words, the assessor can use whatever approach provides the best estimate of a property’s market value.

      Once the assessor estimates the value of a property, its total assessment is calculated. New York State law provides that every property in most municipalities be assessed at a uniform percentage of value. That percentage can be five percent, ten percent, fifty percent, or any other percentage not exceeding 100 percent. It does dot matter what percentage is used. What is important is that every property is assessed at the same uniform percentage within one assessing unit.


      After a property’s total assessment is determined, its taxable assessed value is computed.  The taxable assessed value is the total assessment less any applicable property tax exemptions.  Exemptions are typically either whole or partial, that is either an exemption from paying any property tax or an exemption from paying part of a property tax bill

    • How Do I Know If My Assessment Is Right?

      It is up to individual property owners to monitor their own assessments.  Taxpayers should bring any questions about assessments to the assessor before the tentative roll is established (contact your assessor for the tentative roll date).  In an informal setting the assessor can explain how the assessment was determined and the rationale behind it.


      Assessors are interested only in fairly assessing property in their assessing unit.  If your assessment is correct and your tax bill still seems too high, the assessor cannot change that.  Complaints to the assessor must be about how your property is assessed.


      Informal meetings with the assessors to resolve assessment questions about the next assessment roll can take place throughout the year.  If, after speaking with your assessor, you still feel you are unfairly assessed, ask for the booklet, How to File a Complaint on Your Assessment.  It describes how to make a case for an assessment reduction to the Board of Assessment Review, provides the instructions for filing a complaint, and indicates the time of year it can be done.

    • What Determines the Tax Rate?

      The tax rate is determined by the amount of the tax levy.  There are several steps involved in determining the tax levy.  First, the taxing jurisdiction (a school district, town, county, etc.) develops and adopts a budget.  Revenue from all sources other than the property tax (State aid, sales tax revenue, user fees, etc.) is determined.  These revenues are subtracted from the original budget and the remainder becomes the tax levy.  It is the amount of the tax levy that is raised through the property tax.

    • How Is My Tax Bill Figured?

      Remember that the real property tax is an ad valorem tax, or a tax based on the value of property.  Two owners of real property of equal value should pay the same amount in property taxes.  Also, the owner of more valuable property should pay more in taxes than the owner of less valuable property.


      The property tax differs from the income tax and the sales tax because it does not depend on how much money you earn or on how much you spend.  It is based totally on how much the property you own is worth.


      For example, if an assessor assesses property at 15 percent of value, a house and land with a market value of $100,000 would have an assessment of $15,000.  With no exemptions, this is the houses taxable assessed value.  This $15,000 is not the tax bill.  The tax bill for this house depends on the municipality’s tax rate.


      The tax rate is determined by dividing the total amount of money that has to be raised from the property tax (the tax levy) by the taxable assessed value of taxable real property in a municipality.  If, for example, a town levy is $2,000,000, and the town has a taxable assessed value (the sum of the assessments of all taxable properties) of $40,000,000, the tax rate would be $50 for each $1,000 of taxable assessed value.


      $2,000,000 / $40,000,000 = .05 x $1,000 = $50 (tax rate)


      The town tax bill for this house with an assessment of $15,000 would be $750.  The $750 results from dividing the assessment of $15,000 by $1,000 to get $15 (because the tax rate is based on each $1,000 of assessed value).  Then, the $15 is multiplied by the tax rate to get the tax bill of $750.


      $15,000 / $1,000 = $15 x $50 = $750 (tax bill)


      As you can see, the size of the tax bill depends on both the assessment and the tax rate, which is based on the tax levy.

    • What Else May Occur Before the Tax Rate Is Final?

      There are times when tax rates cannot be set until the tax levy is apportioned, or divided, among various municipalities.  Apportionment occurs if parts of a school district, or special district, exist in more than one city or town.  Taxes are apportioned so that the parts of the district in the different municipalities each pay their fair share of the district tax levy.


      The county tax levy also is apportioned among the towns and cities in the county.  This is so that cities and towns will each pay their fair share of the county tax levy.

    • What Makes My Tax Bill Change?

      Tax bills increase for one or more of the following reasons: bigger budgets are adopted, revenue from sources other than the property tax shrinks, the taxable assessed value of the assessing unit changes, or the tax levy is apportioned differently.


      Taxpayers unhappy with growing property tax bills should not concern themselves just with assessments.  They also should examine the scope of the budgets and expenditures of the taxing jurisdictions (counties, cities, towns, villages, school districts, etc.) and address those issues in the appropriate available forums, such as meetings of the state, county, or town, and school boards.

  • Tax Receiver
    • I never received my tax bill, or received it late, do I still have to pay the penalty?

      Yes, the failure to mail a statement or the failure of a property owner to receive a statement will not affect the validity of the taxes or interest prescribed by law (New York State Real Property Tax Law section 922). In addition, neither the Receiver of Taxes nor any other official have legal authority to waive statutory penalty charges. These are fixed by the Real Property Tax Law.

    • If I mail my tax payment on the due date do I have to pay a penalty?

      Real Property Tax Law, section 925 provides as follows:

      ‘Payment of taxes by mail, when enclosed in a postpaid envelope properly addressed to the appropriate collecting officer and is deposited in a post office or official depository under the exclusive care and custody of the United States Post Office shall, upon delivery, be deemed to have been made to such officer on the date of the United States Postmark on such wrapper. The provision of this section shall not apply in the case of postmarks not made by the United States Post Office. A postage meter postmark is not a postmark made by the United States Post Office, and therefore, is not within in the provisions of Real Property Tax Law section 925. Payments cannot be deemed timely because of a postage meter postmark date on an envelope containing a tax payment (Op. New York State Comp. 69-170).

      If taxes are not received until after the due date, they are not paid until after the due date unless they fall squarely within the provisions of section 925 of the Real Property Tax Law, and the penalty must be added and collected. No Town official or employee can waive the penalty(Op.State Compt. 68-626).

    • If the due date falls on the weekend may I pay my taxes without penalty on the next business day?

      Real Property Tax Law, section 925-a expressly covers such a situation by providing as follows:

      “Extension of time for collection, not withstanding any contrary provision of this chapter, or any general, special or local law, code or charter, if the final date for collection of taxes, or for the collection of taxes without penalty, or for the collection of taxes at a lesser prescribed penalty interest rate shall fall on a Saturday, Sunday or public holiday, an extension for the collection of taxes shall automatically be in effect until the first business day following such date and the date for paying over taxes shall be extended to the following day.”

      In connection with tax payments, the State Comptroller has held that if a tax due date falls on a Saturday, or on a Sunday or on a public holiday, payments may be made on the following business day without additional charge(See Op.State Compt. 67-566).


    • Can I pre-pay my taxes?

      No, the tax warrant constitutes the mantle of authority for the collecting officer to receive the taxes. Therefore, the warrant must be regarded as the instrument that empowers the collecting officer to begin the collection duties with respect to real property taxes listed in the tax roll. 

Town Clerk
  • Town Clerk's Permits, Certificates, Licenses
    • How do I obtain a Birth Certificate?

      All birth certificates are filed with the Commissioner of Health of New York State. Your birth certificate is also on file in the clerk’s office of the municipality where you were born.

      A certified copy or certified transcript of a birth certificate may be issued only:

      1. To the person named on the birth certificate, if 18 years of age or older.
      2. To the parents of the person named on the birth certificate.
      3. To a lawful representative of the person named or the parents of the person named on the
          birth certificate.
      4. To the Commissioner of Health.
      5. To a person with a New York State Court Order.
      6. To a municipal, state or federal agency for official purposes.

      There is charge of $10.00 per certified birth.

      By Mail

      You may obtain a certified birth certificate by mail with a written request that contains the name, date of birth, place of birth, father’s first and last name and mother’s first and last name; and

      You must provide your current return address along with the requester's relationship to the person on the birth.

      The signature requesting the birth must be notarized.

      Only money orders will be accepted by mail. $10.00 per Certified copy.

    • How do I obtain a Death Certificate?

      A certified copy or certified transcript of a death certificate may only be issued:

      1. To the spouse, parent or child of the deceased.
      2. To a lawful representative of the spouse, parent or child of the deceased.
      3. To a person with a new York State Court order.
      4. To a person requiring the record for a documented legal right or claim.
      5. To a person requiring a record for a documented medical need.
      6. To a municipal, state or federal agency when needed for official purposes.

      There is a charge of $10.00 per certified death certificate.

    • How do I obtain a Marriage License?

      Marriage Licenses are valid for 60 days. The marriage must take place within 60 days of its issuance and is not valid for the first 24 hours after issuance. Both parties must appear together at the Town Clerk’s office to complete paperwork for the Marriage License.

      Hours: Marriage Licenses are issued between the hours of 9:00 am and 3:00 pm during normal business days, except on the last day of the month when they are issued from 9:00 am to 10:00 am.

      Cost: $40.00 cash or check

      Documents needed: Proof of age - Drivers License, Passport; birth certificate;  and if there were any prior marriages, you must have certified divorce papers with you.


      If you have any questions on the above, please call 734-1020

    • How do I obtain a Dog License?

      In accordance with New York State Law, all dogs 6 months of age or older and any dog under 6 months running at large must be licensed.

      Documents needed to license your dog include:

      1. Proof of a valid rabies vaccination from your veterinarian.
      2. If your dog is spayed or neutered, proof of same.


      Unaltered dog - $18.00 per year
      Altered dog - $10.00 per year

      All dog licenses are to be renewed every year.

      For information, call (914) 734-1020

    • How do I obtain a Hunting and Fishing License?

      All information regarding hunting and fishing licenses requirements and classes can be found on the following New York State Web Site:

      New York State DEC Website

    • How do I obtain a Handicapped Parking Permit?

      Handicapped Parking Permits are issued in the Town Clerk’s Office at the locality where you reside.

      A Doctor’s note must be provided with the patients name and address which states if the disability is temporary or permanent.

      A temporary permit is issued for a period of 6 months and if there is need to renew an additional doctor’s note must be presented.

      A permanent handicapped permit is issued for a three year period. A renewal can be issued without another doctors note at the Town Clerk’s Office.

      In accordance with New York State Law, only one permit per patient can be issued. The permits can be used in any vehicle the disabled person is a passenger.

      For information or questions, please call 914-734-1020

    • What if I need a BUILDING PERMIT

      If you are looking for a building permit - please contact our Code Enforcement Division of DOTS at 914-734-1010.

Water & Sewer Division
  • Radio Water Meter
  • Water General
    • Sometimes my water is a rusty brown color. What causes this?

      Brown water is often the result of street construction or water main work being done in the area.  Any disturbance to the main, including the opening of a fire hydrant, can cause pipe sediment to shift, resulting in brown water.  The settling time of the main will vary, depending on the size of the water main.  In addition, brown water is commonly associated with plumbing corrosion problems inside buildings and from rusting hot water heaters.  If you have an ongoing problem with brown water, it is probably due to rusty pipes.   It is recommended that you run your cold water for 2-3 minutes, if it has not been used for an extensive period of time.  This will flush the line.  You can avoid wasting water by catching your "flush"  water in a container and using it to water plants or for other purposes.

    • What can I do about chlorine odors in tap water?

      Chlorine odors may be more noticeable when the weather is warmer. 
      Chlorine is essential to kill organisms that may cause disease.  The following are ways you can remove the chlorine odor from you drinking water:

      Fill a pitcher and let it stand in the refrigerator overnight. (This is the best way.)
      Fill a glass or jar with water and let it stand in the sunlight for 30 minutes.
      Pour water from one container to another about 10 minutes.
      Heat the water to about 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
      Once you remove the chlorine, be sure to refrigerate the water to limit bacterial growth. 

    • My tap water often looks cloudy when first taken from a faucet, but then clears up. Why?

      Air becomes trapped in the water as a very large volume of pressurized water travels down the long distance of aqueducts to the City.  The water, as a result, can sometimes appear cloudy or milky.  This condition presents no threat to public health.  The cloudiness is temporary and clears quickly after the water is drawn from the tap and the excess air is released.

    • Should I buy bottled water?

      You do not need to buy bottled water for health reasons in New York City since our water meets all health based drinking water standards.  Also, bottled water costs up to 1,000 times more than the City's drinking water.

    • Is New York City's water "hard"?

      Hardness is a measure of calcium in the water.  The less calcium in the water ("soft" water), the easier it is to create lather and suds.  New York City's water is predominantly "soft."

    • Does my water contain fluoride?

      The following streets receive their water through the Yorktown water system and therefore have fluoride: 

      Baker Street 
      Brandeis Avenue 
      Cardoza Avenue 
      Croton Avenue from Maple Ave. to Furnace Dock Rd.
      Dares Lane 
      East Hill Road ** top half
      Hampton Place
      Helena Avenue
      High Street
      Hood Place
      Jacob Street
      John Street
      Kamp Street
      Lakeland Avenue
      Lexington Avenue from Route 6 to Townsend Road
      Lexington Avenue from Route 6 to Mountainview Road
      Lockwood Road from Yorktown line to Lockwood Estates
      Lucs Lane
      McArthur Boulevard
      Mill Court
      Mountainview Road off Croton Avenue
      Mountainview Road off Red Mill Road
      Nathalie Court
      Parkway Colony all streets
      Quarry Acres all streets
      Red Mill Road from Lexington Ave. to Mountainview Road 
      Regina Avenue
      Route 6 from Lexington Ave. to Westchester Mall
      Skyview Road
      Southgate Drive
      Stonefield Court 
      Udell Court
      Wheeler Drive
      Woodland Boulevard

Youth Center
  • Recreation - Youth Center
    • How old does a child have to be for drop in at the Youth Center?

      Youth must be in 6th grade - 12th grade to participate in drop in hours at the Youth Center. Youth in grades 1st - 5th are invited to participate in the Youth Center on Sundays with parent supervision.

    • Who can attend the Youth Center?

      Any youth (ages 7 and up) that resides in the Town of Cortlandt and/or attends school in the Hendrick Hudson, Lakeland, or Croton Harmon School Districts.

      Youth in 6th grade - 12th grade can participate in our drop in hours, Monday - Saturday at the Youth Center. Youth in grades 1st - 5th are invited to participate in the Youth Center on Sundays with parent supervision.